The current fine for animal abuse here is only $500. That is what parking in a handicap spot could be levied. There must be higher fines and longer, harsher punishment for animal cruelty. We will fight to increase these fines dramatically.
The following common conditions, and any others listed which result in inhumane treatment of an animal is considered acts of cruelty. Cruelty: $500.00 fine (plus a $10.00 surcharge) and/or imprisonment for up to 60 days.
- Cruelly beating or inhumanely killing an animal
- No water, or unclean water
- No food, or unwholesome food
- No shelter, or insufficient shelter
- Short leash, or inability of the animal to get proper exercise or exchange of air
- Failure to properly treat an animal for debilitating medical conditions